Monday, December 31, 2012
Sunday, December 30, 2012
So I decided to go ahead an redesign the blog, though the other design was nice it just wasn't what I was looking for. I've been thinking about changing the direction of the blog as well, still focused on beauty but also with some design and fashion elements. While I love blogging about beauty I find it a bit limiting at times because I have other interests but feel like I can't post about it here. So there may be some changes to the blog in 2013, but still expect lots of makeup tutorials, reviews, and subscription posts just mixed in with fashion posts, photography, travel, and design posts as well.
Monday, December 24, 2012
|image from weheartit|
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Niapads website states that :
Niapads™ is a one-step process for pore cleansing, killing acne causing bacteria and exfoliation. Skin friendly emollients prevent drying of skin. It also contains Lavender oil, known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties; and yes it provides a mild lavender scent.
Inflammatory skin conditions include Acne vulgaris and studies have shown that Niacinamide USP has proven efficacy in treatment of these skin conditions. Niapads™ is uniquely formulated to deliver Niacinamide USP topically at the desired site unlike oral formulations. A mild scrubbing pad helps exfoliate dead skin cells and prevent pore clogging.
These little sheets did help clear up my pimples (I stopped using my regular solutions while trying these products) quickly, within a day or two they where pretty much gone. The scent of these are strongly herbal, but not irritating. I think these would be amazing to use while traveling because you don't have to worry about leakage and the packaging is super minimal so it doesn't take up a ton of space in your bag.
A couple complaints about the product is that while the packaging is great for travel and very utilitarian it's not really pretty (I like pretty packing). I know it's the contents that matter though. Also these were a bit tricky to use in the shower because I found that the strong spray got rid of the product too quickly and you were left with the little cloth. So make sure to be careful when using them in the shower!
I used up almost the entire package of 30, I think I have less than 10 left, and I would recommend this product for people with sensitive skin. My skin had zero reaction to this at all, normally when I'm using something with pimple fighting ingredients it tends to feel tight or get a bit irritated because of the strong ingredients. I really like that they included lavender in this product because it's super beneficial to your skin.
Niapads are sold in a bag of 30 sheets for $17 on amazon and you can get a discount if you buy in bulk.
Disclaimer: This product was sent to me for review, I did not purchase this product. All opinions are my own.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
all I want for christmas: beauty edition by alysiamansfield featuring too faced cosmetics
No one ever seems to by me beauty product for Christmas, but here a few items I wouldn't mind finding under the tree!
1. Clarisonic Mia - This one I might actually get, I've heard it's amazing for helping your skin stay clear and gorgeous so I've been lusting after one of these for a while.
2. Lorac Eye Candy Full Face Collection - I could have got this at the VIB sale but I ended up getting the pro palette instead. I love it so much I'd love to try more Lorac products and the backaging on this is just gorgeous.
3. Coco Rouge Shine in Evasion or Romance - These are so expensive I have a hard time buying them for myself, but they've been on a my wishlist for a while
4. Too Faced Shadow Bursh set - I love that these are cruelty free but feel so soft. I can't justify them with all the other brushes I own but I'd love to have these!
5. Too Faced La Creme lipstick - the packaging for these is stunning and they've gotten great reviews. I'm eying Coral Fire, Marshmallow Bunny and Juicy Melons
6. Nars Eyeshadow Duo in Portabello or Kalahari - I swatch these every time I go into Sephora, but can't bring myself to spend the money. Someday these will be mine..
Anyone have any beauty items they're lusting over?
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Thursday, December 13, 2012
|image from wehearit|
1. Do you start your Christmas shopping on Black Friday or wait until the last minute?
I only have 2 or 3 people in which I put a lot of effort into their gifts, so I get it done pretty early. Friends who I exchange gifts with tend to get the same type of gift, this year it was a small candle and a nail polish I thought they would like (already handed out these gifts this year so I'm not ruining it for anyone!)
2. If you could be in any Christmas movie what would it be?
Elf because it's hilarious.
3. Which do you like better: Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?
Christmas Day because presents and food <3
4. When does your family put up your Christmas tree and who decorates it?
Whenever my mom gets to it? We used to make a big deal about it but as we all got older it became less important
5. White lights or colored lights?
White lights, I just think they're classier.
6. Are you guilty of peeking at your presents or do you like the surprise?
Because apparently I'm impossible to buy for (I disagree) my mom takes us shopping and we pick out items within our budget. I tend to pick out clothing items because I'm always sick of my clothes by this time of year but don't have money to add new items.
7. Would you rather live in a gingerbread house or in Santa's Workshop?
Santa's Workshop so I could play with toys all day!
8. Tell us your Christmas Eve traditions!
A lighter dinner, normally seafood with my mom, sister, brother in law, and nephew. We just kind of chill out and eat food.
9. If you could be under the mistletoe with anyone who would it be?
There's no one specific on my crush list right now, so I'm not sure. Umm I guess if forced Prince Harry :D
10. What tops your tree?
11. Can you name the 12 days of Christmas?
12. Have you ever gone Christmas caroling?
I am not good a singing so nope!
13. Do you countdown to Christmas? If so, how many days are left?
not really, I mean I'm aware of it but in a general kind of way.
14. What are some foods and treats you can count on having every holiday season?
My great-grandmothers recipe for shortbread, which is a family secret and is true traditional Scottish shortbread <3 Also Potato Casserole (which comes out every holiday, its basically mashed potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, and then baked in a casserole dish) which I fight with my brother in law (and now my nephew too!) over the leftovers.
15. How has Christmas kept its magic for you as you've grown older?
I was never huge into Christmas (more into presents when younger) but it's getting easier as time passes. I used to really hate it but now all I hate is the super overdone commercial aspect of it. Although I do LOVE the holiday makeup collections that have come out every year so I like that part.
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
all I want for christmas... by alysiamansfield featuring a zip around wallet
So I though I would share what I'm hoping to find under the Christmas tree this year! I don't buy clothing often because as a student my budget is fairly limited so I tend to ask for clothing items for Christmas to last me through the year. Starting from the top:
1. Stella and Dot Clover Double Wrap Bracelet $64 - I've been loving layering bracelets together and this leather cuff would be a great addition.
2. A Navy Winter Coat - I'm going to wait until after Christmas to get this and I don't have a specific one in mind. I bought a grey coat two years ago, and a black one 4 years ago so I feel like I'm due for a new one.
3. Sweaters (Wilfred Balzac sweater pictured $115) - I love cozy sweaters for the winter months because I have to commute so far for school. It just makes getting ready in the morning so much easier.
4. A Sequined Mini Skirt - If you follow me on pinterest you know I love sequined mini skirts. I'm dying to get one of my own so I can experiment with new looks.
5. Michael Kors Jet Set Watch in Tortoise $225 - My sister has had this watch for years and I love it so much. This is something that is always on my wishlist but I have yet to receive because of the hefty price tag. Some friends and I are looking at going to the states in the spring so maybe I'll get it there as it's cheaper.
6. Kate Spade Moonlit Soiree purse $298 - I feel like this would be an amazing party purse, so cute and festive! One of those items I drool over but will never actually spend the money on.
7. Stella and Dot Tech Wallet $94 - I need a smaller wallet to go with my Rebecca Minkoff Mini Mac because I struggle to get out my current one. I love that this one can double as a wristlet and has a holder for your phone! So handy when going out and you don't want to carry a purse.
8. Temple St. Clair Rock Crystal Amulet $800 - I have been in love with this necklace for years. Temple St. Clair is my favorite jewelery designer that I will never be able to afford, but one day I hope I have someone who loves me enough to buy this... that or I win the lottery!
9. Kate Spade Pride and Prejudice clutch $325 - This is more of a novelty item than something I'm dying to have. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Austen novel and one of my favorite novels of all time. I feel like this clutch does homage to it.
10. Combat Boots - I feel like a lot of my fashion dilemmas would be solved by a pair of combat boots because they're just so effortless. While I love my Dolce Vita Joust boots they are just a bit impracticable for long days at school, and my knee high boots are sometimes too posh for my outfits. Another item I'm going to be hunting for in the post Christmas sales.
What are you guys wishing for this Christmas? Am I the only one who has items on their wishlist for years?
Thursday, December 6, 2012
Essie describes Merino Cool as a sensuous autumn mulberry. Personally I'd describe it as a purple-greige. Shopper Drug Mart was having a sale on Essie polishes last week from $12CAD to $8CAD so I picked up a couple of shade and this is so far my favorite.